Asian Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant- An Advanced Bone Marrow Transplant Hospital in India providing a ray of hope to retrieve life. We have a dedicated and state-of-the-art stem cell transplantation centre which caters to blood cancers as well as stem cell transplantation for non malignant conditions.
The term ‘Bone Marrow Transplantation’ is actually a misnomer in the present context as the vast majority of transplants are now conducted by harvesting stem cells (primitive cells in the bone marrow transplantation which form mature blood cells like red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets) from the peripheral blood of the donor. So the correct and logical term is peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. The general perception, still amongst many, is that it is a surgical procedure, which is not correct, as this is a staged medical procedure which takes about 4 weeks and is carried out by a Medical Oncologist or a Hematoncologist.
Stem cell transplant is generally divided into two types:
- Autologous (using patient’s own stem cells) and
- Allogenic (using a matched sibling, a matched unrelated donor (MUD), cord blood or a partially matched/ Haploidentical donor). HLA matching is done for allogenic transplants using a blood sample or buccal swab of the donor and the recipient.
Stem cell harvest is done from the blood of the patient in case of autologous and the donor in case of an allogenic transplant using mobilizing agents. These stem cells are reinfused into the patient after high dose chemotherapy to rescue the patient’s marrow from the effects of high dose chemotherapy.
Autologous transplant is mostly required for Multiple Myeloma (standard for all fit patients below 65 years of age) and relapsed lymphomas. Allogenic stem cell transplant has the potential to cure many blood cancers, used for specific indications (AML, ALL, CML etc.) and is the only curative option for some non- malignant life-threatening diseases like thalassemia major, aplastic anemia and inherited metabolic disorders like Adrenoleukodystrophy and Hurler Syndrome. It is important that patients get educated about stem cell transplantation and referred timely to dedicated transplant centres.
Scope of Services
- Treatment for Blood Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Expertise in Alternate Donor Transplant
- Highly skilled team of doctors and paramedical staff
- Unit equipped with HEPA filters
- State-of-the-art infrastructure
- Complies with international standards
- Excellent infection control set up
- Advanced blood bank with irradiated blood products
- Streamlined donor search coordination
In a short span of 6 months, Asian Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant has successfully completed 10 transplants.
- A 15-year old Iraqi girl suffering from a rare bone marrow syndrome (severe aplastic anemia) was treated with a matched unrelated German donor (from international database) at Asian Institute of Medical Sciences, Faridabad and this is the first case in Delhi NCR.