Benefits of Kalonji
Kalonji/ Nigella Seeds- The treasure trove of health
Kalonji, or Nigella seeds, is a common spice in Indian households. It is used for flavouring curries, pulses, stir-fried vegetables, and other savouries. But did you know it has countless health properties? These tiny black seeds are also called cumin seeds and are filled with vitamins, crystalline nigellone, amino acids, saponin, crude fibre, proteins and fatty acids like linolenic and oleic acids, volatile oils, alkaloids, iron, sodium, potassium and calcium. They have been used by ancient healers and modern-day medical practitioners.
mproves Brain Power
Read on to know about a few science-backed benefits of Kalonji:
• Lowers Cholesterol Levels: Research on obese people shows that the use of nigella seeds is helpful to reduce total cholesterol levels.
• Protects Skin: Oil from Nigella seeds combined with lime juice are used to treat acne, blemishes and cracked heels.
• Checks Diabetes: Kalonji helps in controlling diabetes. A mixture of black tea and Kalonji oil helps in the prevention of diabetes.
• Improves Brain Power: Kalonji seeds sharpen memory and increase focus and concentration. It is also helpful in curing headaches and treating migraine.
• Provides Energy: Nigella seeds is beneficial to remove tiredness and laziness. In combination with orange juice, the result is a great energy boost.
• Treats Arthritis: Kalonji oil when applied over joints proves helpful in getting relief from joint pain and prevention of arthritis.
• Strengthens Teeth: Dental ailments like teeth fall and gum bleeding can be treated with Kalonji seeds. These seeds help in increase of calcium in the body. It also helps in curing pain in teeth.
• Controls Acidity: Ginger and Kalonji oil, when mixed together help in preventing acidity and gas formation.
• Prevents Asthma: Kalonji seeds with hot boiled water intake assists in treating respiration problems and asthma.
• Boosts Kidney Health: Oil procured from Kalonji seeds aids the normal functioning of the kidney. It also helps in the prevention of the formation of kidney stones.
The numerous benefits of Kalonji seeds or Nigella Seeds get quelled by taking excess amount of it. Glucoside found in Kalonji seeds is toxic in nature and can prove to be harmful. Pregnant women should especially be careful with their intake of Nigella seeds
mproves Brain Power
So, make a conscious effort towards good health, with your doctor’s permit. Add kalonji to your diet or use it as a supplement to enjoy a beneficial effect on several aspects of your health.