5 Breast Cancer Myths That Need To Be Debunked

October 7, 2016

Roughly 65% of women in India are diagnosed with Breast cancer. New researches have alarmed that breast cancer cases will rise to 3.2 million a year by 2030. This is an alarming fact, which needs to move beyond awareness to action. It’s time to see what’s really happening in breast cancer research, treatment, prevention, and cure.

Our breast cancer myths and truths are backed by science, documented by the trusted sources. They are carried to generations after generations, often misunderstood by or misrepresented to the general public.

Our mission is to make you aware, speak up on behalf of women and men everywhere and take action to end this disease. We also insist you help us spread this message to people you know: friends, family, coworkers, anyone who cares about ending breast cancer.

You may be surprised to hear the truth about breast cancer, which may motivate you.

Breast Cancer
Myth: Most breast cancers run in families.
Fact: Only 8% to 10% of breast cancers are hereditary, which means they are caused by abnormal genes passed from parent to child. The other 90% is largely due to a change in lifestyle and environmental factors.
Myth: There is nothing you can do to lower your risk of developing breast cancer.
Fact: Ninety percent of breast cancers occur due to change in lifestyle and environmental factors. To keep your risk as low as it can be, you can maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, and limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
Myth: Undergarment such as Bras cause breast cancer.
Fact: Bras do not cause breast cancer. According to a 2014 scientific study, there is no link between wearing a bra and breast cancer. There was no real difference in risk between women who wore a bra and women who didn’t wear a bra.
Myth: Regular mammograms prevent breast cancer.
Fact: Mammograms don’t prevent breast cancer, it is only an examining procedure and can save lives by finding breast cancer as early as possible when it’s most treatable.
Myth: Antiperspirants cause breast cancer.
Fact: There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that antiperspirants can cause breast cancer. Either because of toxin buildup or aluminum exposure.

 

Content Reviewed by – Asian Hospital Medical Editors